Monday, March 2, 2009

A Mini Kitchen Garden is Born




Lettuce...... I wonder how many tonnes I've thrown away in my lifetime.

I don't really like lettuce all that much. I tend to buy lettuce only when we're in the grip of a major heat-wave.  Once the weather cools a little my desire for salads cools right along with it, and the lettuce gets shoved to the back of the fridge. Here it might turn into a dreadful mushy mess or, alternatively, a green icy ball.  It depends on what mood my fridge happens to be in at any given time.

It's the same with herbs.  I'm just an ordinary cook but occasionally I'll be inspired by some luscious looking dish in a magazine or recipe book.  This will invariably be a dish which requires a teaspoon (no more, no less) of fresh (on no account should the dried variety be used) coriander or something.  So I dutifully buy some sprigs (you can't just buy one sprig), chop up the teaspoonful and put the rest away for another day.  The trouble is that by the time another day comes along (usually 3 or 4 weeks later) the coriander, or whatever, has turned itself into the dried variety, which on no account must you use for the said luscious dish.

So, finding ourselves teetering on the brink of financial ruin (possibly a slight exaggeration), thanks to the GFC, my son and I decided that there was only one course of action to be taken. No more wasting food and/or money for us.  A kitchen garden is what we need.




1 comment:

  1. Lettuce is great. Good luck with coriander, over here it just bolts and goes to seed almost the day after you have planted it. Isn't it too hot and humid there for lettuce anyway?

    ReplyDelete